Saturday, June 20, 2009

Father's Day









Today we celebrated Father’s Day and it was a great day.

Audrey and I got Jeff a new watch with an engraved message from us for his very first Father’s Day. It is such a special time for our little family.

I don’t know what it is about daddies and their daughters, but there is a really special and unique bond there. I see it with Jeff and Audrey, and I know all about how special the bond between a dad and daughter can be from my own experiences with my dad.

My relationship with my dad has changed so much over the years. When I was a little girl, I thought my Dad and my PaPa were the strongest, most capable men in the world. I thought they could do anything. They could build anything, lift anything, fix anything, and I always felt totally safe and secure with them around. As I got older, I realized that physically,my dad is not the biggest guy. He is still pretty strong, pretty handy, and very capable, but the strongest parts of him are on the inside. He is such a wonderful father. He is the strongest Christian man I have ever known. He has devoted his life to his faith and his family and you just can’t ask for more than that. My dad is also a really funny guy. Not the over the top, Jim Carrey kind of funny, but the sharp, witty kind of funny. Guess that’s where I get it from (ha-ha)! He enjoys an off-beat, funny birthday card, movie, or story as much as I do. That’s just one of our special bonds. And there is so much more I could say about my dad, this post could go on and on. He just such a great father and now I get to see that same kind of relationship developing between Jeff and Audrey.

When Audrey hears Jeff’s voice, she immediately starts to look for him and when she finds him, she gets the biggest smile on her little face. If he is in the room, she doesn’t take her eyes off him for very long. It’s like she’s checking to make sure he sees her. Sometimes, if Jeff is engrossed in a golf tournament or something on tv, I actually have to say to him, “Audrey wants you to look at her” because she’s been staring at him, just waiting for him to acknowledge her. And when he does, she smiles like it is just the best thing ever.

I can already tell that Audrey thinks her daddy is really something. We have been so blessed since Audrey arrived because Jeff has gotten to spend a lot of days with her at home. Although I was a little jealous when I went back to work, that I couldn’t work from home and be with her more, I am so glad they got to spend this time together. That is all going to change very soon, and I think Jeff will be surprised at how hard it is going to be for him to be away from her every day.
I know it won’t be long until Audrey is big enough to really have some fun with Jeff. He already has plans to make her into the best little girl golfer in Texas, so I think it’s safe to say they are going to be quite a pair. And has anyone noticed that how much they look alike? I never would have guessed it, but Jeff makes beautiful little girl!

Father’s Day has been bittersweet for Jeff the past 5 years since losing his Dad. They had a really special bond too. They were so alike and everyone says that the older Jeff gets, the more like his dad he becomes. When you are blessed with a wonderful father, that’s a really good thing. Jeff and I were only married for a short time before he lost his Dad, but in that time, I knew his dad to be a true family man. His love for his family was so obvious. He was absolutely crazy over his two grandchildren. I know that is something Jeff thinks about often and he so wishes his dad could be here now for Audrey. We know he’d be head over heels for her, just like we are. I also know if Jeff's dad could see him now, he would be so proud of the man and father he has become.

Audrey is such a blessed baby.

Happy Father’s Day!!!!

No comments: